Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The sort of day that happens to you.

So much has happened and there is much to report.

For starters, my new passion is using oh-so-egalitarian social media to egalitarianize (Quick! What's the word of the day?!) lions. Ruth Reichl, I'm talking to you, and I'm still waiting to hear back on my question!

My, but I do get a kick out of this, in spite of (oh, who am I kidding, because of) its futility.

In other news, the Roach Man came again today and removed the red dome of my ignominy, as well as its victim. He also laid some new baits (based on the droppings I found last night, someone's alive and kicking) and advised me to seal off various entry points with masking tape and pour bleach down the sink.

Definitely a war, this roach biz, and not a battle.

To the end of procuring masking tape and bleach (for the sinks, not for quaffing!), I visited my regular H.E.B., which was something of an O.R.D.E.A.L., since they are rearranging the entire store. In addition to the most recent roach control supplies (the aforementioned items, plus bay leaves and baking soda), I bought other essentials such as purple Halloween lights (more, please!) and coconut oil, which I have been curious to experiment with for a while now, but whose exorbitant price has until today (when my better judgment leaped out of the window singing tra la, tra lee) been prohibitive. I can't wait to use it to pop popcorn on the stove, and for Indian cooking, and for other things. Whee!

Also, also, I went to this tonight, which is fitting, since What Went Wrong! could be the title of my memoir. I emerged into the balmy night, Congress Avenue a lurid neon valentine. I was hideously remiss not to bring Shutter Island with me this evening; but that's what rematches are for, yes? And thank you, Austin parking gods, for taking with me thus far such a benevolent tack, my dubious judgment and willful misreading of signage notwithstanding.

More adventures, more adventures soon!

3 comments:

  1. My favorite new smell? Cooking minced ginger and garlic in coconut oil. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is fortuitous, because I also bought garlic and ginger yesterday! Do you find that coconut oil tends to overpower other flavors? I'm sure ginger and garlic can stand up to it, but I'm thinking of using ginger and garlic in coconut oil as a base for a tomato sauce (that also has coconut milk), and fear the coconut oil might eclipse everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, I wouldn't be afeared. After all, the taste of coconut will definitely struggle to hold its own against the garlic and ginger; at best, your tomato sauce will taste exotic and delicious, at worst, you'll put too little of one of the ingredients and not get that wonderful tang. I say go a little crazy, after all, you can always tame it down next time ;)

    ReplyDelete