Thursday, September 22, 2011

Okay, Texas, we get it--you're hot. Now simmer down, will you? And other Deep Thoughts.

As anyone of a writerly persuasion trying to make a career out of it in today's media landscape is aware, you can write like Shakespeare (of whom I am admittedly not a fan, but let's go with this broadly known frame of reference), and it is irrelevant, because unless you were mastering SEO (Search Engine Optimization on the off, off-chance there's a bigger Luddite than I am reading this, in which case, I suppose s/he wouldn't be reading this, because why would s/he be in possession of a computer, much less on the internet) whilst still a zygote, you are functionally useless. In light of this, and in the interest of providing a valuable public service, I would like to call to the attention of this readership (wait, doesn't that imply plurality?) some useful SEO tags (or whatever you dreadful sort who specialize in this kind of thing call them) to employ when attempting to draw attention to your site (based on the traffic patterns of visitors to this blog):

blogosphere like
dead roach on my kitchen floor

Good to know!

In other news:

Coconut oil =  the Meaning of Life (for popcorn, at least)

I am wearing a ladylike dress and a jewel-encrusted raccoon skull around my neck, which leads me to:

New Fashion Mission Statement: You needs must always juxtapose the macabre with the demure.

Looking forward to speaking some Spanish with some amigable folks tonight and a Corona with my name on it.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I used to think this was the case. And since I've worked as an SEO guy in my previous job, I know a fair amount about it. SEO = web traffic, right? Well, I've recently decided I don't want to pander to web traffic. Boo, hiss!

    Nor do I want to do this thing called 'marketing'. I am going to deliberately play the Luddite and simply publish as many books as I can, and hope that their very worth, their inestimable merit will be their selling point, and set off a wave of fire in the form of word of mouth.

    Or something. Think there's a chance? I'm planning to have published 4 books this year, so, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truthfully? I'm not sure--but even if doesn't work out, at least you'll go down with guns blazing, right?

    I am pasting a link to a local (to me) self-publishing series of which you can purchase the audio files (disclaimer: I haven't, so I can't opine as to its content, etc.), but maybe it's worth a shot? The first one seems particularly relevant to your situation, although it might harp on the dread "M" word.

    http://www.writebynight.net/writing-center/events/self-publishing-series/

    ReplyDelete