Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Haha, I win.

On one front, at least. I wrote this on April 4, in a state of severe bummed-outedness at having returned to Boise after visiting Austin, about a scarf I bought on the trip:

The scarf is of course totally unnecessary, and I'm so glad I bought it. Red, blue, teal, yellow, turquoise, pink, and white, with skeins of gold and silver thread laced throughout, the tattered ends a twisted confusion of colors. Austin, with its bright buildings. The refusal to be neutral: a lesson well-heeded. Boise is bleak, the obdurate screams of Men Who Are Men pounding the slate-gray sky. The sky is unmoved.
 
The scarf is a reminder. The scarf says, "Remember: there are other places in the world."
 
And now I live here. Come what may, I rolled the dice. So, ha, I say, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment